Legal, Claims & Insurance Manager - 100%
Binningen or Lausanne, Switzerland
Founded in 1948, Ameropa is a Swiss, privately owned international agri-business. We produce, originate and market fertilisers and grains and are part of the agricultural supply chain whose task it is to feed the world. Our headquarters are in Binningen, Switzerland, near the city of Basel. We have regional offices on all five continents and invest globally in assets supporting our business activities.
In close collaboration with the relevant operations/trading/functional teams, to be the Group’s in-house expert on all trading and shipping legal, claims, and insurance topics, leading, overseeing and coordinating all related matters and wholistically managing related risks.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide timely and pragmatic advice to Operations, Trading and other teams on complex day-to-day operational issues arising out of Ameropa’s international food & feed and fertilizer trading operations, including in relation to contractual issues (sales & purchases, charterparties, bills of lading, letters of indemnity, letters of credit, etc.) and insurance (cargo and charterers’ liability) in order to protect Ameropa’s legal and commercial position.
- To ensure that the company is properly insured in relation to its business risks and liabilities relating to cargo, warehousing and chartering. This will include leading the tendering, negotiating and contracting insurance policies with brokers and insurers.
- To oversee all cargo and charterers’ liability insurance claims, working closely with the Operations team to ensure that all claims are properly managed and, where necessary, taking a role in direct administration and settlement of claims.
- To take primary responsibility for managing non-insurance-related contentious matters/ disputes related to international trading and shipping of food, feed and fertilizers, taking into account relevant contracts and potential dispute resolution mechanisms (GAFTA, FOSFA, LCIA, English courts, etc.) in order to best advance Ameropa’s interests.
- To manage the company’s claim management system/processes (for both insurance and non-insurance-related claims), to maintain the inventory management/warehouse database, and to produce regular and ad hoc statistical reports and analysis for company management on both claims and inventory matters.
- To provide expert guidance and training to operators, traders, contract desk, and others on legal, insurance and claims matters to ensure constant improvement of Ameropa’s contracts, processes, and procedures and thereby reduce Ameropa’s legal, insurance and claims exposure.
- To instruct and manage external counsel, where needed, in particular in relation to arbitration and court proceedings.
- To act as a legal and claims adviser to the Risk Team with regards to credit insurance-related matters.
- Educated to BA degree level, preferably in a legal, business, or maritime field. Bar exam, LL.M. or MBA would be a plus.
- A good technical and practical working knowledge of English trading and shipping law.
- At least 5-years claims and insurance experience gained in an international commodity trading and/or shipping company (part of which may have been gained at a law firm, insurance company/broker, or P&I club, in which you were advising multinational trading clients).
- Experience in commercial and claims aspects of cargo and charterers’ liability insurance.
- Familiarity with standard industry contracts (GAFTA, FOSFA) and charterparty forms (GENCON, etc.) and ancillary contracts such as Bills of Lading, Letter of Credit, and Letters of Indemnity.
- Experience in managing, at least through external counsel, contentious matters both in arbitration (GAFTA, FOSFA, LMAA, LCIA, etc.) and national courts.
- Complete business fluency in English (spoken and written) is essential; additional languages skills preferred.
- Ability to analyse business requirements from a legal & risk perspective and transform into commercial, pragmatic actions, guidelines and insurance solutions.
- Experience and commercial skills in negotiating complex and comprehensive insurance coverage
- Highly efficient, organized and ability to multi-task; used to managing various complex cases simultaneously.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, dynamic and challenging trading environments.
- High personal integrity and strong ethical values, with a distinctly entrepreneurial approach; used to work with utmost confidentiality.
- Solution and commercially oriented and stimulated by new challenges and situations, whilst remaining committed to mitigating risks to the business.
- Able to communicate and present in a clear and concise manner (orally and in writing), influencing others positively.
- Down-to-earth character, but assertive with a diplomatic flair; capable of independently and constructively challenging and sparring with traders, operators and business leaders at all levels.
- Proactive, strategic thinker with a hands-on approach and a positive “can do” attitude.
- Personal style with the capability to build and manage effective relationships (internally & externally).
- Confident and capable of using their initiative and taking responsibility for one’s decisions.
- Interest and ability to work collaboratively in an international setting with multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams; strong awareness of cultural differences.
- Ability to be based at the Basel/Binningen or Lausanne office, with occasional travel between these two offices and some international travel required (c.10%). Partial teleworking permitted.
In case of interest please send your full application (CV, motivational letter, work certificates & diplomas) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mark your application "Legal, Claims & Insurance Manager".