Legal & Compliance Manager – 100%
Founded in 1948, Ameropa is a Swiss, privately owned international agri-business. We produce, originate and market fertilizers and grains. Our headquarters are in Binningen, Switzerland, near the city of Basel.
We have regional offices on all five continents and invest globally in assets supporting our business activities.
Reporting to the Group General Counsel, and based in our Binningen office, in Switzerland, you will manage the Group’s compliance program and promote a culture of ethics and compliance within the Group to ensure that it continues to conduct its business in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as high ethical and professional standards, whilst maintaining the Group’s commitment to entrepreneurship and enabling its continued growth in complex and sometimes economically/politically volatile environments. You will also provide pragmatic legal support on a wide range of corporate and commercial law matters, such as commercial contracts and negotiations, corporate governance and secretarial matters, disputes, and financing arrangements. A lawyer or legal counsel with a pragmatic, entrepreneurial, and collaborative mindset, you will have at least 5 years of post-qualified experience, including significant exposure to compliance and commercial/corporate law within an international commodity trading and/or agri-business group and a desire to take on significant responsibility.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead all compliance matters (including anti-bribery/corruption, sanctions, competition law, derivatives, data privacy) across the Group's business divisions, legal entities, and support functions across the Group, including:
- Collaborate closely across Group entities, business divisions, and functions to develop, implement, monitor and update policies and procedures to ensure the Group's continued compliance and ethical conduct
- Build effective partnerships with local legal counsel and compliance officers to drive success of compliance program and embed compliance culture throughout the Group
- Guide and train business leaders and relevant personnel Group-wide on all relevant compliance matters
- Continuously review and update the Group's compliance policies, procedures and code of conduct
- Establish processes for monitoring compliance with policies and procedures
- Handle investigations into potential compliance breaches
- Ensure compliance with relevant compliance reporting requirements, whistleblower regulations, etc.
- Oversee the Group's KYC processes, ensuring that they are efficient and effective, and, where appropriate, serve as a decision-maker on KYC issues on behalf of the Group
- Provide timely advice on compliance issues arising out of ongoing and new commercial relationships, including contracting matters, disputes, new business opportunities, etc.
- Advise on compliance issues with pragmatic consideration for the commercial nature of the business, company risk appetite, culture and resources
- Provide general legal support on other matters as required by the General Counsel, including:
- Corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial matters related to Group entities (e.g., managing articles of incorporation, preparing board meeting documentation)
- Contracts drafting and negotiation (sale and purchase agreements, NDAs, guarantees, etc.);
- Disputes (arbitration and litigation)
- Financing agreements
- Manage and supervise external legal or other service providers
- Law degree (continental European university preferred); Bar admission strongly preferred
- At least 5 years' Swiss work experience as a lawyer or legal counsel, including significant experience in compliance (especially sanctions, anti-bribery and competition matters) and commercial/corporate law
- Experience in an international commodity trading and/or agri-business Group (or a renowned law firm advising the aforementioned industry) strongly preferred
- Fluency in English and German (both at least level C1 "Verhandlungssicher"); additional languages would be a plus
- Strong ability to analyze business requirements from a compliance and legal perspective and generate pragmatic advice, processes and policy
- Excellent legal and policy drafting skills
- Experience in developing compliance policies & procedures and providing legal & compliance trainings
- Self-starter, with an entrepreneurial mindset, interested in taking initiative and responsibility for the decisions they make
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Strong legal research skills across multiple legal jurisdictions
- Proven track record of influence and impact in complex organizations/ environments
- Highly efficient, organized and ability to multi-task; used to managing various complex projects simultaneously
- Comfortable operating in fast-paced, dynamic and challenging trading environments
- High personal integrity and strong ethical values; used to working with utmost confidentiality
- Able to communicate and present in a clear and concise manner (orally and in writing), influencing others positively
- Down-to-earth character, solution-driven, goal-oriented, and assertive with ability to manage challenging situations
- Proactive, strategic thinker with a hands-on approach and a positive "can do" attitude
- Confident and capable of independently and constructively advising and, if necessary, challenging business leaders at all levels
- Interest and ability to work collaboratively in an international setting with multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams; strong awareness of cultural differences
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to promote a team spirit within the Legal & Compliance teams in HQ as well as Group-wide
- Ability to be permanently based in/near Basel, with some international travel required (approx. 10%)
Please send your full application (CV, motivational letter, work certificates & diplomas) to Waelti Partners firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be handled directly by Waelti Partners under exclusive mandate with Ameropa, and therefore Ameropa cannot receive direct applications, nor candidates from other recruiters.